Ministry of Railways has established Kalpana Chawla Chair of Geospatial Technology (KCC GT) at Punjab Engineering College (Deemed to be University) for promoting Research and Development in the areas of Geo-spatial Technology. This chair is established in the memory of Kalpana Chawla, the first Indian Women astronaut, who graduated from this institute in 1982. The mandate of the KCC GT are as follows:
- To teach subjects in the area of geospatial technology.
- To carry out research guidance and other academic activities.
- To provide innovative ideas for implementation of the national geospatial policies and programmes.
- To propagate Geospatial Technologies in Academia, Government Departments, Research Centers & Industries etc.
- To propose and execute projects in the area of geospatial technology with a focus on Indian Railways.
- To motivate & guide prospective investigators to formulate research projects.
- To initiate capacity building programmes in the area of geospatial technology