The Board of Governors in its meeting held on July 18, 2008, approved the proposal for Special Casual Leave, Project Leave and Special Leave for Faculty members. This document is meant to provide guidelines for availing these Leaves on academic grounds by faculty members. They shall come into effect from September, 2008.
In these guidelines, unless the context otherwise requires:
(i) ‘Leave year’ means the calendar year, i.e. the period commencing from January 1 to December 31 of the year.
(ii) ‘Holidays’ means a holiday notified as such by the Institute.
2 Right of leave
Leave cannot be claimed as a matter of right and , when the exigencies so demand, leave of any description may be refused or revoked by the authority empowered to sanction the leave.
3. Leave should always be applied for and sanctioned before it is taken, except in the cases of emergency and for satisfactory reasons. The faculty member shall, however inform the sanctioning Authority at the earliest of the reasons for leave of absence.
5. In the event of there being any inconsistency between any of these guidelines and the corresponding provisions in Punjab Engineering College (Deemed University) rules, the latter shall prevail.
6. The Institute may, for sufficient reason to be recorded, grant relaxations of the
conditions to the extent considered reasonable.
2. Special Casual Leave
1. Special casual leave, not counting towards ordinary casual leave, may be utilized by the faculty member when he/she is
i) summoned to serve as a Juror or Assessor or to give evidence before a court of law as a witness in a civil or a criminal case in which his private interests are not at issue;
ii) allowed to attend a reference library of other institutes or conferences and scientific gatherings of learned and professional societies or a training programme in the interest of the Institute;
iii) requested/invited to act as an examiner or an expert in selection committee/Assessment Committees or any other academic/ administrative committees at any other Organization / Institution;
iv) allowed to be absent for any research, sponsored research or consultancy;
v) allowed to participate in sport events, and related activities;
vi) required to be absent for vasectomy or tubectomy/ laparoscopy operation to the extent of 6 working days to male employees and 14 days to female employees;
vii) an office bearer of a recognized union/forum and is required to participate in a meeting /activity of the union/forum;
viii) required to be absent for any other purposes approved by the Director / Board of Governors.
2. Application of leave shall be addressed to the Head of Department/Director. The Authority empowered to sanction Special Casual Leave shall be same as followed for the Casual leave. The Proforma for availing Special Casual Leave is attached.
3. A faculty members is entitled to 15 days of Special Casual Leave in one calendar
year. The leave, ordinarily, shall not be granted for more than five days at any
one time, except under special circumstances, for which the permission of the
Director is necessary.
4. Saturday/Sundays/ Holidays can be prefixed /suffixed to the leave.
5. Saturday/Sundays/ Holidays falling during a period of the leave shall be not be
counted as the part of the leave.
6. Special Casual Leave can be taken for half day also.
7. Combination of Casual Leave or regular leave (e.g., Earned Leave, Half Pay Leave etc) with Special Casual Leave is permissible, but combination of both Casual Leave and regular leave together with Special Casual Leave is not permissible.
8. LTC can also be availed of in conjunction with Special Casual Leave.
9. It must be ensured that prior and proper arrangements are made for the discharge of responsibilities such as teaching duties, guidance of research students etc.for days of absence.
3 Project Leave
1. Project leave can be availed by a faculty member for an additional period not exceeding fifteen days in a calendar year for execution of consultancy work or a sponsored research project.
2. A faculty members is entitled to 15 days of Project Leave in one calendar year. The leave, ordinarily, shall not be granted for more than five days at any one time, except under special circumstances, for which the permission of the Director is necessary. The Proforma for availing Project Leave is attached.
3. Saturday/Sundays/ Holidays can be prefixed /suffixed to the leave.
4. Saturday/Sundays/ Holidays falling during a period of the leave shall be not be
counted as the part of the leave.
5. Project Leave can be taken for half day also
6. Project Leave can be combined with Special Casual leave.
7 Combination of Casual Leave or regular leave (e.g., Earned Leave, Half Pay
Leave etc) with Project Leave is also permissible, but combination of both
Casual Leave and regular leave together with Project Leave is not permissible.
8. LTC can also be availed of in conjuction with Project Leave.
9. No faculty member shall proceed on the leave unless all prescribed formalities
(mentioned in the application leave form) have been completed and leave
4 Special Leave
1. Special Leave can be availed by the faculty members for the following purposes
(i) being on deputation for practical training out of India
(ii) for attending Conferences/Seminars/Symposia/Short Course/Training Programmes, etc. abroad provided that he / she is going in his/her individual capacity and not as a representative or a delegate of the institute.
2. The competent authority to sanction the leave is the Chairman, Board of Governors/Director
4 If paper accepted for presentation in Conference is multi authored, then only one of the author will be allowed to avail the leave.
5. The Faculty member may apply 30 days in advance for the purpose of obtaining sanction of leave.
6 No faculty member shall proceed on leave unless all the prescribed formalities have been completed and sanction obtained.
7 A joining report after availing leave is mandatory. This should include a statement of work done during the leave period.