Prof. Manoj K. Arora
PEC University of Technology
Prof. Manoj K. Arora, joined PEC Univ of Technology as Director on July 1, 2013. He is on Lien from IIT Roorkee where he is serving as Professor in the Department of Civil Engineering.
He obtained BE in Civil Engineering from PEC in 1984, ME in Civil Engineering from University of Roorkee (now IIT Roorkee) in 1986, and Ph.D. in Remote Sensing from Swansea University, UK, in 1996. During 2002-2003 and then in 2004, he was a Visiting Research Associate on a postdoctoral fellowship in a NASA sponsored project in Electrical Engg and Computer Sc. Department, Syracuse University, U.S.A. He was Chairman GATE 2009 and GATE 2010.
Prof. Arora is Vice Chairman, State Higher Education Council, RUSA, UT Chandigarh, Chairman, Chandigarh Chapter of Indian Society of Remote Sensing and is a member of several boards and academic councils in India.
His research interests include Remote Sensing and GIS and its applications, Digital Image Classification, Soft Computing, Land Cover Mapping, Hazard, Risk and Disaster Studies.
In a teaching and research career of more than 27 years, Prof. Arora, has taught a range of courses, guided 19 Ph. D. theses, 54 Masters dissertations and is currently guiding 6 Ph.D. theses. He has written two books and published/presented more than 210 research papers in Peer Reviewed International and National Journals and Conferences. He has also successfully executed 15 sponsored research projects and 20 consultancy projects of National and International importance.
He has established collaboration with a number of research organisations and universities both India and abroad. Some of them include Syracuse University, USA, University of Birmingham, University of Nottingham, Norwegian Geotechnical Institute, Oslo, Norway, Defence Electronics Applications Laboratory, Dehradun, Snow and Avalanche Study Establishment Chandigarh, Space Application Center, Ahmedabad, CDAC, Pune & Tehri Hydro Development Corporation. He has traveled widely on various academic assignments.
Prof. Arora is also recipient of many awards, which include Outstanding Teacher Awards at IIT Roorkee, Commonwealth Scholarship Award, DST Young Scientist Award, AICTE Young Teacher Career Award etc. He is a fellow of Institution of Engineers and has been a member of many professional societies including American Society of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, IEEE Geosicence and Remote Sensing Society, Indian Society of Remote Sensing. He is also a member on boards of several academic institutions/organisations in an around Chandigarh.
During his short stay at PEC, he has brought several administrative & academic reforms and has strengthen academia-industry interface.
- Ph. D. (Remote Sensing), University of Wales Swansea (now Swansea University), UK, 1996
- M.E. (Survey & Photogrammetry), University of Roorkee (now I I T Roorkee), India, 1986
- B.E. (Civil), Punjab Engineering College (now PEC University), Chandigarh, India, 1984
- One week training course on Bernese' GPS Software in University of Bern, Switzerland, (15.2.99 to 21.2.99)
- Outstanding Teacher Award, IIT Roorkee (2010)
- Outstanding Teacher Award, IIT Roorkee (2006)
- Star Performer in Teaching and Research, IIT Roorkee, (2005-06)
- Star Performer in Teaching and Research, IIT Roorkee, (2004-05)
- Star Performer in Teaching and Research, IIT Roorkee, (2003-04)
- Visiting fellowship, Syracuse University, USA (2004)
- Post Doctoral Research Fellowship in a NASA project at Syracuse University, USA (2002-2003)
- Young Teacher Career Award from All India Council of Technical Education (AICTE), India (1998)
- Core areas: Remote Sensing and GIS, Surveying, GPS applications
- Allied areas: Advances in Digital Image Classification, Soft Computing, Land Cover Mapping,SAR Interferometry, Hazard and Risk Studies.
Consultancy Projects in India and abroad: 20
- Field Survey Work for Bridge Alignment at river Ganges in DeoPrayag
- Reconnaissance Surveys for a Rail Route Alignment from Jammu to Poonch.
- Design of Drainage and Sewage in Moradabad City (Topographical surveys of a part of Moradabad City).
- Bridge Survey Work at Yamuna river.
- Soil Erosion Estimation using GIS.
- Levelling of Feeder Channel connecting Upper Ganga Canal and Eastern Yamuna Canal.
- Topographical Survey of Pendaras Village, Koteshwar.
- Contour Survey of a Landslide area near Haridwar.
- Profile Leveling along proposed Sewer Line, BHEL, Haridwar
- Development of Index to Monitor Debris Cover on Himalayan Glaciers using LISS II and LISS IV Data
- Software for Advanced Classifiers for Multispectral Remote Sensing Images, Defence Electronics Application Laboratory, DRDO, Dehradun
- Provision of GCP using GPS Survey in Delhi area.
- GIS Training for Army Personnel
- Remote Sensing and GIS Training for Scientists and Academicians
- Safeland: Living with Landslide Risk in Europe: Assessment, Effects of Global Change and Risk Management Strategies, International Center of GeoHazards, Norwegian Geotechnical Institute, Oslo, Norway
- Development of an Operational Algorithm for Snow Water Equivalent, Snow and Avalanche Study Establishment (SASE)
- Development of Algorithms for Anomaly Detection and Sub-pixel Classification fromHyperspectral Remote Sensing Data, Defence Electronics Application Laboratory, DRDO, Dehradun
- Development of Algorithms for Feature Reduction and Per-pixel Classification from Hyperspectral Remote Sensing Data, Defence Electronics Application Laboratory, DRDO, Dehradun
- Groundwater Table Checking along Madhya Ganges Canal, World Bank Project, UP Irrigation Department.
- Alignment checking of Rishikesh to Karnprayag railway line (ongoing)
Total research experience till date: ~26 Years
ME Thesis Topic: Error analysis in survey and photogrammetric projects
PhD Thesis Topic: An Evaluation of Factors Affecting the Accuracy of Digital Multispectral Land Cover Classifications
i) Articles: 180 (169 papers + 11 chapters)
Research Papers Published: 166
In press/Accepted: 03
Under Revision/Submitted/Preparation: 07
Chapters in Books: Published 11
Distance Education Learning Books: 2
Edited Book: 1
Text Book: 1
iii) Invited Lecture:s 31
Ph. D Theses Supervision: 14 (Completed), 7 (In progress)
M. Tech./ M. S. Theses Supervised: 50 (Completed), 2 (In progress)